Swakopmund Architectal and Historical Heritage
 
The Museum The Swakopmund museum started as the scientific collection of Dr Alfons Weber in 1951. It was transferred to the present site in 1960. Special exhibits include panoramas of the desert and sea life, a collection of semi precious stones, and extensive historical collections, a modern technical exhibit of the largest open pit uranium mine in the world - Rössing. Teh building was originally the customs building but was destroyed by fire on September 24, 1914, when Swakopmund was bombarded by the auxiliary cruiser 'Kinfaus Cattle' during World War 1. It was only renovated about forty years later.
« | < | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 |


35 Images  |  Generated by JAlbum 6.5 & Chameleon skin  |